Thursday, December 5, 2013

On the 5th Day of Christmas my true love sent to me....

...one kilt pin with a chanter on it, 

....two pairs of cuff links; one with the latin motto of Everton football club, nil satis nisi optimum, which translates as "nothing but the best is good enough" and the second pair with a leaf from the Groom's button hole that he wore on his wedding day.
Hot off the Hybrid Handmade Workbench, December 2013, Cari-Jane Hakes
.....three.....not sure I keep this going!

The last three pictures in this little collage show a very interesting piece I created for one of my clients.  She asked me to melt down an old bracelet that had been given to her as a young woman and then use the silver to make a necklace for her daughter.  The first picture on the left, on the bottom row, shows the lump of melted silver that was created from the bracelet.  It actually had some lovely engraving on it so I kept a little part of it.  Then I created a flattened sheet by passing the silver lump through my rolling mill.  In the last roll through the mill I textured the recycled silver with a rose leaf from the daughters wedding bouquet.  The last picture shows the finished necklace.  I feel like a bit of magician!  What a wonderful present this will be to open on Christmas morning.  A piece so full of tradition, heritage and history.  It's why I do what I do.

3 comments:

  1. Love your photographs on here! Gorgeous ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what lovely personal momentos to cheris. I epseciall love that you incorporated that bit of engraving from the original. perfect. just perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd really love to see the last three photos in more detail. I always find the process so interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...